Apr 27, 2014

My First Dig Day! Dated June 04, 2013.

This week has been nuts. There is so much to get done and all I care about at this point is just sitting down and reading everything that I haven't finished on my Kindle. Which is exactly what I am doing instead of being productive. Reading is productive though... right?

There are so many ducks to get in a row before I leave. Things like sending all my stuff 6500 miles away in June, packing the rest of my stuff into a bag and taking that stuff out into the middle of no where Philippines for a month. Then moving all of that stuff I drug to the Philippines to China after I get done in the field. Not exactly the greatest, but I don't feel like flying to Asia, flying home and then flying back to Asia two weeks later. No thank you.

The next three months are going to be insane. From moving myself to the dig to Tucker to visas it is all going to be nuts. Craziness aside, I am excited. This feels right. I am not nervous at all, nor have I even remotely regretted my decision. This feels like a decision I should of committed to years ago. Like a step in the right direction.

06/04/13
Lunch: 
  I am out on my first dig! I am really enjoying it so far. The site is beautiful. The terraces are breath taking. I was put on the team that may be excavating the reported graves for Old Kiyyangan Village. I almost shit my pants when they told me. I have already found lots of pot sherds and some type of bone! I am so excited!!!



Day 1 went well. Minus my back. It's going to need to be looked at whenever I get home. It is like 11pm now. Today has been exhaustive, but digging was amazing. I found so many cool things. I am so happy I am here. For breakfast we had these f***ing delicious friend bananas and salty fish. 

The only thing I don't know about it cleaning and pot sherds. I am so tired I have to bullet point the rest of the day:



  • I haven't pooped in almost 3 days.
  • My beloved burial site was washed away by the river apparently :(.
  • There are tape worms in our trench.
Love you,
Cooper

In my defense: pooping in the field was a struggle. I just embrace it now for what it was. We did not have running water in our bathrooms. Nor were there toilet seats on any of the toilets in the girl's dorm bathroom. I mastered the art of the squat that summer and I am still proud of it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment