Jul 29, 2015

I'm Coming Back.



It's true, my time in China is rapidly coming to a close. This year has been so fast, so fun, so random, so.... everything. Here's what you need to know about my repatriation to American soil:

I've learned about 15-23 Chinese sentences. Yes, most of them are insults or curse words. So don't bother asking about my Chinese skills when I get home. I have none. 
                                      
Mandarin is hard. Really, really hard. I got excited the day I realized that I wasn't hearing a jumble of tones and actually able to distinguish when one word started and ended. My point and nod game is strong. And I'm damn proud of it.

This was easily one of the greatest years of my life. 
                                      
But seriously, I worked my hardest to live this year in superlatives. I've made the best friends, partook in the best shenanigans, laughed the hardest, danced the longest, ran through countries, drank the most beers, watched the sun come up far too many times to count, ate the greatest food, wished this life could go on forever. This year has been the fastest whirlwind of adventures and I'm so thankful for everyone in it. 

A piece of me will always be in Beijing.                        
I complained about this city a lot. Getting push on the subway sucks. Watching a kid piss in a water bottle or shit on the street became far too normal. The terribly biting cold or sticky heat. 200+ pollution. The gamut... Despite those things, I was surrounded by the most loving and supportive friends anyone could ask for, but there were many times when I wished I could just fall asleep on my rock hard bed (because soft bed is bad for healthy) and wake back up in California. I missed my family, I missed Tucker, I missed my pets, I MISSED FRESH JALAPENOS . I know the minute that my plane takes off I'm going to bawl like a child because I truly love Beijing. I love how random my life was. I love my Chinese coworkers giving me health advice. I love going to Great Leap four times a week because Great Leap was the closest I felt to being home. I love it all. I may be leaving Beijing, but a little piece of my heart will always being stumbling down dirty bar street with my girls trying to get a tuktuk driver to take me home.  


In a nutshell:

No comments:

Post a Comment