May 18, 2014

The Coffee Cup Cockroach Incident. Dated: June 9-10, 2013.

This letter to husband pretty much describes my fear of cockroaches in an action. I can distinctly remember throwing the cup at the wall and seeing that damn bug SURVIVE. THE THING SOME HOW LATCHED ON TO THE WALL LIKE SOME SH*T FROM THE MATRIX AND JUST SCUTTLED UP THE WALL AFTER THE CUP EXPLODED.

It was actually a moment straight from my nightmares.


June 9th, 2013
Early Morning- 5:50 AM

Morning started off as so: wake up. Go get my usually coffee. Pick up coffee cup. Roach so big in the bottom of the cup that I proceed to throw cup into a wall, where cup shatters. Welcome to the Philippines!

10:30 PM

Long day again. Will write you so much more in the morning. I miss you. Love you.

June 10th, 2013
Early 5:40 AM

Even though I've complained in my letters, I think I have a ton of pride in my work here. I try to work longer than I should. I try to keep complaints to a minimum. I take a few breaks. This is school is such an awesome cultural experience, but it is the most difficult thing I have ever done. 

At Hapao (our next site) we don't have running water. We probably won't have electricity. I don't even think we have doors. This whole thing is going to teach me more about myself and how strong I am as an individual. In fact, being here has made me much more motivated. I think in the last 10 days I have matured more than I have in the last five years. 

Don't take this as I'm doing fine; I am a little miserable. This is hands down the hardest thing I've ever done. I am perma-exhausted and I miss you more and more every day. I am dreading leaving on the 19th a little. Not talking to you for ten days is going to be the most difficult thing yet. 

I just found out there is an opportunity to present research papers in Cambodia in January. This is something I think I really want to do. I love you and I miss you Sunshine. You're amazing and I can't wait to be back in your arms.

<3 Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment