Sep 26, 2014

8 Pleasant Surprises

I live outside of my comfort zone daily hourly in Beijing. This city is amazing, but damn do I miss distinctly U.S. comforts. Here are seven pleasant surprises I've noticed in the last two months:

1. Produce is cheap. 
Cooking at home is my zen. There is nothing I love more than digging into a meal that I created or being able to share that meal with others. When I first got to Beijing I was trapped in a prison-like hotel room. There was one window, but the window looked out into the hall (which I still don't get). The only kitchenesque tools I had were a ziploc container, a little soup spoon, and a hot water maker. I will admit that I probably (coughcoughdefinitelycoughcough) ate more Ramen noodles than one person should in a two week period. I wanted nothing more to cook myself a meal or make a delicious salad. When I finally moved into my apartment I all of my wishes came true.... there is a giant wet market with so much cheap produce. It's basically heaven on earth every time I walk in to buy groceries. So cheap. So delicious. So happy.
That farmer's market though....


2. When your dinner comes out looking like the photo posted on the restaurant's menu.
This is a crucial pleasant surprise. Chinese menus with photos are now solely to blame for my trust issues. More than once I have ordered a dish and had and ENTIRELY DIFFERENT LOOKING DISH placed in front of my face. In case you ever visit, Mala Tang and Hot Pot are safe bets. Always. You know exactly what you're getting because you make your own!
New favorite food Hot Pot!

3. A stranger translates for you, even when you don't ask.
I had an instance on the sub about a week back when this adorable little old woman was leaning over to look at my Kindle, giggled, and said something in Chinese. I gave her the saddest blank stare because I had no idea what was going on. Another passenger goes, "She thinks your writing looks funny". I just lost it and started laughing too. I spent the next 15 minutes of my ride talking with both of the people. It feels good to be able to communicate, even with a medium, because I feel like I am getting a better understanding of what is going on around me. Everything is so different. It feels good to have some sort of an idea of what I am doing.


4.When other expats recognize your sorority/ university/ sport's team shirt, then hunt you down to talk to you.
 I can't even begin to describe how nice this is. I've made so many friends in Beijing wearing my Lewis and Clark Football shirt, my Pi Phi shirt, and my Shark's shirt. Familiarity is key in China and when another expat recognizes something, they jump all over it. Myself included.

5.Seeing a perfect sky.
Blue skies aren't frequent. When you get them, it's a damn good day.
I took these a week a part. Not even the same city. 


6. Mcdonald's French Fries at 3 AM taste just like they do at home.

No words for what went down this night.

7. You can BYOB to most restaurants. For free. 
MY FAVORITE PART OF BEIJING! You can, in most establishments, bring your own booze/ drink in for free. The best.

8. When cars stop for you (pedestrian you) in the crosswalk.
Beijing has done an absolutely fantastical job of teaching me how to be an aggressive pedestrian. Yes, you read that right. What South America scared out of me, Asia brought right back in a blazing glory. You have to be aggressive in any facet of your life to get anything done. You have to be an aggressive subway rider if you want to catch the sub. You have to be an aggressive umbrella-er when it rains or you're going to get poked in the face a lot. You have to be an aggressive pedestrian or you're never going to cross the street. Ever.


I am sure there are many other things that I can't think of. Today I survived my first Chinese hospital experience. That will be an entire other post for another time because it deserves an entire post to itself. Sorry I haven't been posting lately, my computer charger broke on me! I'm going to get another one soon! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment