Jan 24, 2014

Days When You Know Life is Good.

I don't remember the last time I said this, but today, life was wonderful. Today was one of those days that reminded me why life is so beautiful. I feel more content than have in months. It feels like all the struggles of the last three months has begun to slowly just fade away. I could not be more happy about that.

I thought about my blog today. Seriously, this blog has no general direction. I mainly just follow guidelines I set for myself:
 1. Try to blog every day. No matter how big or small.
2. It doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense to everyone else. I mean, I built the damn thing to just write (type) things. Random things. Things that actually pass through my mind like a wondering animal.
3. I don't have a number 3. Mainly the first two sums up how I feel about blogging.


Moving on, to the important stuff. I volunteer for a hospice. When I first signed up for it I didn't know what to expect. Originally I got in to it because I wanted to work with elderly individuals, little did I know that in just a few months my life would be forever changed. Volunteering for the organization that I volunteer for has truly been an honor and blessing in disguise. I don't use the term "blessing" or "blessed" frequently, but I truly believe that doing some of the work I've done has not only been a blessing, but an incredible lesson of life.

There is something so beautiful about hospice care. I can not deny that it is heart wrenching for a number of reasons. The idea of losing some one I potentially will become attached to breaks my heart, but I've learned so much. I've been taught so much in the few months I've been doing volunteer work. I thought about how priceless an hour of my time is in earth. Literally, priceless. It is strange to think that all the hours you've spent are earth are just gone. And you don't know how many more hours you do have left on this earth. Could be 1 hour. Could be a day. Maybe five. You just don't know. Working in hospice has opened my eyes to the beauty in the chaos of end of life care. How special every moment of every day is. It makes me rethink all those moments I wasted. Or moments I spent angry or crying. It makes me realize that those moments were selfish of me, that what I have is a luxury denied to many; I have everything in each breath I take. It makes me realize that I am as mortal as the next human. I am an ever-perishing product in this world of entropy.

It was in this realization that I came to the reality that I don't want to waste another moment of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment